Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Completed’ Category

Geranium for Sophia

The second garment I’ve made in 2013 was the Geranium Dress by Made By Rae. I decided to make it as a gift for the Christening of my friend’s baby, Sophia, about a week and a half before the Christening. Not my brightest idea. Including when I figured out I didn’t have enough yardage of anything girly baby dress appropriate in my stash. So I purchased enough yardage of victorian modern in summer bloom pink and butterflies pink from sewmamasew.

Baby Sophia's Geranium Dress

I made the 3-6 month size, with a gathered skirt and the flutter sleeves. The pattern was clear and easy to follow and I would highly recommend it especially if you have girls in your life in need of adorable dresses. I can’t wait to finish the second one in the opposite fabrics for her older sister.

Close up shot

Skills I learned on this project:

Lining the bodice-Pretty self explanatory, and I love the way it looks to have a different fabric peeking out from the inside.

Machine made buttonholes-I’ve had my sewing machine since high school which means I’ve had it about 20 years…and I’ve never used the buttonhole feature on my machine. It only does one type unlike the fancier new machines, but I love it. Can’t wait to use it again on the next geranium dress.

Machine sewn buttons-I had no idea my machine did this. Which is so awesome I can’t even tell you. Sewing buttons back on stuff is going to go so much faster now. LOL

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Emmeline

My first completed sewing project of 2013 was the Emmeline Apron from Sew Liberated.  I had wanted to make it for quite some time and then finally decided to go ahead and do it once I saw that kits were available.  For some reason I thought having to pick my own fabrics and coordinating solid was a little daunting…especially when you’re buying fabric online, which I do pretty often.

This apron is technically my first completed garment/accessory.  I’ve sewn quite a few softies and I made a skirt and a schoolhouse tunic, but neither of those are hemmed yet, and the fitting of the tunic (and prolly fabric choice) is just not greatly flattering on me.  I’m not bummed though, because making it was really fun and I learned a lot.  And every one of these missteps gets me closer to knowing what looks best on me. But that’s for another post.

Anyway, here’s two kinda terrible pics of the finished apron:

Dressy Side

Dressy Side

Workhorse Side

Workhorse Side

I absolutely love this apron and I use it all the time.  Mostly when cooking I keep the darker side out because any dirt, splashes, or stains will show a lot less.  The other side with the pretty little birds I call the ‘Dressy’ side, which I plan on wearing if I ever have company over for a dinner party or something.  Yeah, right.

The pattern was easy to follow and now I want to pick out fabrics and coordinating solids for more aprons, for me and as gifts.  I guess my initial fear is gone. lol.  I might just attempt to sew some as Christmas presents this year.  Maybe.  I might just want to be a selfish sewist though.  Only time will tell and I have big plans.

But back to the pattern…the only ‘trouble’ I had was trying to get the placement of the apron side straps correct.  The strap tops are supposed to match up with the bottom of the solid color on the bodice.  Even though when I pinned it it all mtatched up when I sewed it together they are just a smidge off.  I don’t mind it all that much as a first attempt but I’d like to figure out how it ended up off so the next aprons are right.

Skills I learned on this project:

Making Bias Strips:  Actually pretty easy and weirdly kind of fun in a type A kind of way.  I made double the amount I needed and didn’t realize it so I must have enjoyed myself.

Using Interfacing:  I used what came in the kit which I think was a non-woven fusible type.  It was totally fun to use.

Handfinishing/Hand sewing:  It took forever and I kinda hated doing it…but the results were worth it.  And, I could see loving that part of the process in the future after getting a little more experience doing it.

 

 

Read Full Post »